FINANCIAL PLANNING INSTITUTE OF SOUTHERN AFRICA (FPI) USE OF MARKS GUIDE
Rules in respect of the AFP™ and RFP™ marks
(Listed advisors: You can copy and paste this mark: ™ )
1. The marks may ONLY be used in the following forms:
ASSOCIATE FINANCIAL PLANNER™ / AFP™
REGISTERED FINANCIAL PLANNER™/ RFP™
2. When the mark is used in abbreviated form, there must not be any
punctuation marks between the letters.
Correct: AFP™ / RFP™
Incorrect: A.F.P / R.F.P
3. When written out in full, capital letters must be used:
Correct: ASSOCIATE FINANCIAL PLANNER™
Incorrect: Associate Financial Planner™
Correct: REGISTERED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
Incorrect: Registered Financial Planner™
4. Only one mark must be used with reference to the same person, e.g. John
Smith AFP™ or John Smith ASSOCIATE FINANCIAL PLANNER™.
5. The mark must be used as a designation and not as part of the individual’s
Correct: John Smith RFP™
Incorrect: John Smith B.Com, LLB, RFP™
6. The mark must be used as an adjective, not a noun.
7. Always use the ™ superscript with any of the marks in its first use in
Correct: RFP™ / REGISTERED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
AFP™ / ASSOCIATE FINANCIAL PLANNER™
Incorrect: RFP® / AFP©
8. The mark may not be used in plural form.
9. The mark may not be used as a possessive word, e.g. AFP™’s /
REGISTERED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ ’s
10. The form of the mark may never be altered to create a new mark.
11. The mark may NOT be used as part of an e-mail address or domain name
e.g. www.rfpcompany.co.za / firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. The mark must NOT be used as part of the business name or logo.
13. The mark must NOT be used on promotional items, the mark may,
however, be used in promotional literature.